FISHER, Henry, of Maidstone; later of Boxley, Kent.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
1st s. of Robert Fisher of Maidstone by Joan, da. and h. of Simon Warnecourt of Faversham. m. (1) Alice, da. of William Weldishe of Linton, 2s. inc. Alexander 3da.; (2) Joan Herenden, 2 or 3s. 1 or 2da.
Recorder and town clerk, Maidstone by 1560-2.
The Fishers were a well-known Maidstone family, who for many years lived in the manor house of Wyke, in what was later called Week Street. Henry, his uncle John and ‘cousin’ Alexander Fisher were three of those empowered in 1548 to sell the church ornaments belonging to the fraternity of Corpus Christi in Maidstone, and to use the proceeds to set up a free grammar school. His recordership implies that Fisher had some legal training but no evidence has been found of his attendance at an inn of court. He received wages for his time as the town’s MP, 40s. for the first session, together with 4s. to the sheriff for the indentures, and 6d. for the ‘stewards dinner’ at the election. After resigning the recordership he continued to serve the corporation in various capacities. As a member of the burmote court he signed a set of new ordinances for the town in January 1563; ten years later he was one of those who certified that the minister Thomas Tymme had been given the freedom of Maidstone; in 1576 he was appointed an arbiter for Maidstone in a dispute with Rye, and in 1579 he witnessed an agreement between Nicholas Barham’s son Arthur and the corporation concerning burials in St. Faith’s churchyard. The date of Fisher’s death has not been ascertained.
Vis. Kent (Harl. Soc. xlii), 159; (lxxiv), 50; J. M. Russell, Hist. Maidstone, 187, 353; F. Streatfeild, Accts. of Maidstone Grammar Sch. 10; Maidstone Recs. 18, 189-90, 226.