FISHER, Clement (c.1539-1619), of Great Packington, Warws.

Published in The History of Parliament: the House of Commons 1558-1603, ed. P.W. Hasler, 1981
Available from Boydell and Brewer

Constituency

Dates

Family and Education

b. c.1539, s. of John Fisher of Great Packington by Katherine, da. of Sir Thomas Digby of Olney, Bucks., wid. of Simon Wheeler of Kenilworth, Warws. m. Mary, da. of Sir Francis Repington of Amington, Warws., wid. of one Kendall of Smithsby, Leics., 4s. 3da. suc. fa. 1569. Kntd. 1604.

Offices Held

J.p. Warws. from c.1579, sheriff 1597-8.

With Leicester in the Netherlands 1585.

Biography

Fisher’s father came from Shropshire, and was granted the manor of Great Packington shortly after the dissolution of Kenilworth priory to which it had belonged. He was a gentleman pensioner from Henry VIII’s reign onwards without interruption. After settling in Warwickshire, he became steward to Ambrose Dudley, Earl of Warwick, with responsibility for the castle and borough of Warwick and for all Dudley’s Warwickshire and Leicestershire lands. In 1563-4 he was sheriff of these two counties.

No doubt it was through his father’s service to the Dudleys that Fisher himself came to the notice of Warwick’s younger brother the Earl of Leicester, who commended him to the bailiffs of Tamworth for return to Parliament in 1584 in such terms that they could not refuse, even though Leicester’s stepson, the Earl of Essex, was forcing them to accept his candidate, John Breton, for the other seat. The bailiffs would have liked to return their recorder, Richard Broughton. Fisher is recorded as having been appointed to a parliamentary committee about a private matter, 7 Dec.1

In his will made 8 Apr. 1618, Fisher asked to be buried in the church of Great Packington in such manner as his wife, the sole executrix, should think fit, ‘not forgetting in reasonable sort my estate and degree’. He referred to his lands in Warwickshire, Worcestershire and Staffordshire from which he made ample provision for his wife for her life, though his leasehold property called Astell Grove,