Published in 1983
In 1660 the House of Commons consisted of 507 Members. 39 English counties (Durham was not entitled to return Members) returned two Members each. The 201 English boroughs returned 388 Members. Most of them returned two each; 5 of them returned only one each; London, and a borough that had been combined out of two in the sixteenth century (Weymouth and Melcombe Regis), returned four each. In addition the two English universities (Oxford and Cambridge) returned two Members each. The twelve Welsh counties each returned one Member to Parliament, using the same franchise as for the English counties. There were 12 Welsh borough constituencies, 5 of them single boroughs, and the others groups of boroughs united for electoral purposes.
Durham County and Durham City were enfranchised by Act of Parliament in 1673, and Newark (Nottinghamshire) was enfranchised by royal charter