Salary: £221 per day worked (pro rata equivalent to point 38 on the History of Parliament’s pay spine, £48,640).
Hours: Part time and variable. A minimum of one day a week; further days by arrangement. Significant extra hours may be required during the preparation of the budget (March-June); annual accounts (April-June) and annual audit (usually August-October)
Place of work: Much of the work may be done remotely, and meetings are often held remotely. The postholder will be required to attend in person at least two Trustee meetings, two Executive committee meetings and two Finance Committee meetings a year, and regular in-person meetings with the Director. There will also be a requirement for attendance in the office during some of the period of the annual audit.
Accountable to: Director, with reporting functions to Treasurer, Finance Committee and Trustees
Works with: Director, Office Manager (responsible for bookkeeping), Treasurer
Software: HPT uses VT accounts software
· Financial planning: involvement in the annual preparation of the strategic plan, modelling and preparation of annual budgets and bids for Grant-in-Aid for submission to Trustees and parliamentary authorities; support for the director in the presentation of budgets to Trustees and parliamentary authorities.
· Monitoring of expenditure and in-year revision of budget, production of management reports and forecasts of expenditure and cash flow for the Director and others. Includes monitoring and checking of payroll, entering of data on accounts package.
· Development of processes of risk management and monitoring.
· Preparation of annual accounts according to Charities SORP and other legal and reporting standards; liaison with auditors (the National Audit Office), answering queries from the auditors. Support for the director in presentation of accounts to Trustees and parliamentary authorities.
· Financial record keeping, including stocks of books held with various publishers and onsite, and fixed assets.
· Monitoring of bank and investment accounts
· Compliance: liaison with HMRC, including preparation of VAT returns; updating information supplied to Charity Commission.
· Other related tasks as required, including input to preparation of external funding bids. There are various queries from other staff at the Trust (usually the Office Manager & Director) but occasionally other staff on financial issues that need to be researched and answered.