HYNDE, Francis (c.1530-96), of Madingley, Cambs. and Aldgate, London.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
b. c.1530, 1st s. of (Sir) John Hynde† of Madingley by Ursula, da. of John Curzon. educ. St. John’s, Camb. 1546; G. Inn 1549. m. Jane, da. of Edmund Verney† of Pendley, Bucks., 3s. inc. William 2da. suc. fa. 1550. Kntd. 1578.
J.p.q. Cambs. from c.1559, q. from 1569; 1559, j.p. Isle of Ely from c.1564, q. from 1568; sheriff, Cambs. and Hunts. 1561-2, 1570-1, 1589-90; commr. musters, Cambs. by 1576.
Hynde was nominally granted livery of his lands in December 1551, but for some reason the grant was not implemented, and in the following July, ‘for default of livery to him’, he became for a short time only the ward of William, Marquess of Northampton. The Hynde lands in Cambridgeshire included Burleas or Burlewas, the ‘shire manor’ from which the wages of the county Members for Cambridgeshire had formerly been paid, and the manors of Girton and Westwick. The family also owned property in Essex and Lincolnshire. Hynde added to his inheritance by buying church lands: in 1563 he paid nearly £1,200 for the manor of Cottenham, Cambridgeshire, and the advowson of Westerkale rectory in Lincolnshire, formerly the property of Crowland abbey.1
Between 1552 and the accession of Elizabeth there are only scattered references to him. On 18 Mar. 1555 he was brought before the Council on a charge of conspiracy, and three days later was bound over to remain in the custody of (Sir) Giles Alington† and to appear before the Council if summoned. No date of his release has been found; he was not discharged of his recognizances until 22 Feb. 1559. For almost the whole of Elizabeth’s reign he was an active official in Cambridgeshire. The bishop of Ely described him as a good justice, satisfactory in religion. In Cambridge Hynde was closely associated with the corporation, the treasurer’s accounts recording several presents of money to him. In 1576 he was one of those empowered by the corporation ‘to act in all matters before the Queen and her Council, in all causes and businesses touching the town’, especially those concerning Stourbridge fair. It was to him that the Privy Council wrote on the question of university privileges about purveyance. In 1578, the year of his knighthood, the Queen was expected to visit him at Madingley on her way back from Suffolk, but she changed her mind, and it is doubtful whether Hynde entertained her.2
Hynde was not an active MP. He was appointed to only two recorded committees, concerning the sowing of linseed in Herefordshire (23 Feb. 1581) and a declaration of war with Spain (29 Mar. 1589). He was given leave of absence on 25 Feb. 1581. As a subsidy commissioner in 1593 he assessed himself on £50 in lands. He died intestate 21 Mar. 1596, letters of administration being granted two days later to his son William.3
Ref Volumes: 1558-1603
Author: N. M. Fuidge
- 1. Vis. Cambs. (Harl. Soc. xli), 113; Add. 5812, f. 168; Lansd. 56, ff. 168; 81, f. 79; CPR, 1550-3, pp. 40, 286, 320; 1560-3, p. 497; 1563-6, p. 29; C142/249/52, 357/53; 34, 35 Hen. VIII, c. 24.
- 2. Machyn Diary (Cam. Soc. xlii), 83; APC, v. 105; x. 389; Cam. Misc. ix(3), p. 25; CPR, 1558-60, pp. 31, 422; Lansd. 8, f. 77 seq.; 74, ff. 204-5; W. M. Palmer, Camb. Borough Doc