HYNDE, William (c.1558-1606), of Madingley, Cambs.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
b. c. 1558, 1st s. of Francis Hynde of Madingley by Jane, da. of Edmund Verney† of Penley, Bucks. educ. Queens’, Camb. 1572; G. Inn 1577. m. (1) c.1581, Elizabeth, da. of Thomas, 2nd Lord Wentworth of Nettlestead, Suff.; (2) c.1597, Elizabeth, da. of William Lawrence of St. Ives, Hunts., wid. of John Hutton of Dry Drayton. suc. fa. 1596. Kntd. 11 May 1603.
J.p. Cambs. from c. 1597, q. from 1601; sheriff, Cambs. and Hunts. 1600-1.
On 14 Dec. 1581 Hynde acquired the lands of the dissolved monastery of Anglesey, Cambridgeshire, including the manors of Bottisham and Histon Ethelred, and also the manor of Cottisham in Cambridgeshire, settled upon him by his father at his first marriage. Later he sold Anglesey to the sitting tenant,John Fowkes. Hynde inherited the rest of his father’s property in March 1596, and soon became a j.p. and knight of the shire. As knight for Cambridgeshire he was eligible to attend committees concerning enclosures (5 Nov.), the poor laws (5, 22 Nov.), armour and weapons (8 Nov.), penal laws (8 Nov.), monopolies (10 Nov.), the subsidy (15 Nov.) and land reclamation (3 Dec.). By his second marriage he acquired the manor of Dry Drayton. He does not appear by name in the known surviving records of the House of Commons. He died 28 Mar. 1606 and was buried at Madingley. In a short will, made four days before his death, he left his goods, including booths and booth grounds in Stourbridge fair, with ‘tilt and timber’, to his wife, the sole executrix. An inquisition post mortem was held 2 Nov. 1606. Hynde was succeeded by his brother, Sir Edward.
C142/249/52, 297/148; Vis. Cambs. (Harl. Soc. xli), 113; H. Hailstone, Hist. par. Bottisham (Cambridge Antiq. Soc. Proc. iii), 327-9; D’Ewes, 552, 553, 555, 557, 561, 567; PCC 40 Stafforde.