Grampound

Borough

Published in The History of Parliament: the House of Commons 1558-1603, ed. P.W. Hasler, 1981
Available from Boydell and Brewer

Elections

DateCandidate
1558/9SIR JOHN RADCLIFFE 1
 RALPH COUCHE 2
15 Dec. 1562SIR JOHN POLLARD
 CHRISTOPHER PERNE
1566JOHN DODMER vice Perne, 'reported to be lunatic'3
1571EDWARD CLERE
 JOHN HUSSEY II
22 Apr. 1572EDMUND SLYFIELD
 JOHN HUSSEY II
10 Nov. 1584WILLIAM STOUGHTON
12 Nov. 1584CHARLES TREVANION
1586THOMAS CROMWELL
 JOHN HERBERT
11 Nov. 1588RICHARD SAYER
21 Oct. 1588THOMAS CROMWELL
1593RICHARD EDGECOMBE II
 EDWARD JONES
24 Sept. 1597SIR JOHN LEIGH
3 Oct. 1597ROBERT NEWDIGATE II
3 Oct. 1601SIR JOHN GREY
7 Oct. 1601JOHN ASTELL

Main Article

Grampound was a duchy of Cornwall borough, forming part of the manor of Tybesta. The town was decayed in Elizabeth’s reign and, according to the antiquary Richard Carew, ‘the corporation but half replenished with inhabitants, who may better vaunt of their town’s antiquity, than the town of their ability’.4

The borough sent Members to Parliament from the reign of Edward VI. Return was made by the mayor and burgesses. In 1584 the borough adopted the practice of sending up two separate indentures; the majority of these were ‘blanks’.

Three of Grampound’s 16 MPs owned property near the borough and secured their own return: Charles Trevanion, Richard Sayer and Richard Edgecombe II. Ralph Couche, also a Cornish landowner, owed his return in 1559 to his relatives, the Arundells of Lanherne. An Arundell connexion is also behind the