Available from Boydell and Brewer
|4 Nov. 1584||PETER OSBORNE|
|6 Nov. 1588||EDWARD COKE|
|1593||THOMAS KNYVET II|
|22 Sept. 1597||FRANCIS HARVEY II|
|2 Oct. 1601||MARTIN STUTTEVILLE|
Aldeburgh was incorporated in 1547 and was governed by two bailiffs assisted by ‘the twelve’ and ‘the twenty-four’. The Duke of Norfolk was lord of the borough, and presumably it was he who secured its enfranchisement in 1571. Its right to return Members was challenged in the House and referred to the returns committee, 6 Apr. 1571.1 Parliamentary election indentures were made between the sheriff and the bailiffs, whose names were given on the returns.