MOFFAT, William (1737-1822), of Painshill and Wimbledon, Surr.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
b. 7 Mar. 1737,1 3rd s. of John Moffat of Lauder, Berwick by 3rd w. Margaret, da. of James Inglis of St. Leonards in Lauderdale, Berwick. m. (1) c.1766, Elizabeth (d. 13 Jan. 1791),2 da. of Lt.-Col. William Bowland, 1s. 2da.; (2) 31 Dec. 1795,3 Elizabeth, da. of Rev. John Harington, rector of Thruxton, Hants, s.p.
Dir. Sun Fire Office.
Moffat’s early life is obscure, but he was a partner in the London banking house of Wickenden, Moffat, Kensington and Boller from its establishment in 1775 at 20 Lombard Street, and by 1786 had become the senior partner. After several changes of name the firm traded under the title of Moffat, Kensingtons and Styan until 1807, when Moffat’s name dropped out. He appears also to have been connected from 1799 until 1819 with the banking house of Williams, Son, Moffat and Burgess, of 20 Birchin Lane. He traded as a merchant from several London addresses and by 1790 had established himself at 32 Queen Square, Bloomsbury. He signed the London merchants’ declaration of loyalty, 2 Dec. 1795, was entitled to four votes as an East India Company stockholder, and invested £10,000 in the 1797 loyalty loan. He was not listed as a merchant in the London directories after 1803. He bought Painshill in 1799, but sold it four years later and thereafter resided at Wimbledon.4