ALDBURGHE, Richard (1607-1648), of Ellenthorpe Hall, Aldborough, Yorks.
Available from Cambridge University Press
Family and Education
b. 1607, 1st s. of Arthur Aldburghe (d. aft. 1654) of Ellenthorpe and Elizabeth, da. and coh. of Richard Holland of Heaton, Lancs.1 educ. Magdalene, Camb. 1624.2 m. 22 Nov. 1627, Alice (bur. 18 July 1634), da. of William Mallory* of Studley, Yorks., 4s.3 d. Oct. 1648.4 sig. Richard Aldburghe.
Commr. Poll Tax, Yorks. (N. Riding) 1641, subsidy 1641-2, assessment, 1641-2, array 1642.5
Aldburghe’s ancestors were lords of the Yorkshire manor from which they took their name by 1318, and two of them were knighted; but Leland noted them as ‘men of mean lands’ in the 1530s. In 1578 the family purchased Ellenthorpe Hall for £675, but their political significance depended on their ownership of three of the nine Aldborough burgages carrying votes in parliamentary elections. Aldburghe was returned in 1625 and 1626, while still under-age, displacing Christopher Wandesford*; he left no trace on the records of either session. In 1628 the seat went to Robert Stapleton, whose uncle Brian† was suing the Aldeburghes over rents due from Ellenthorpe.6
The Aldeburghes consolidated their local influence in 1629, when Richard’s father bought the manor of Aldborough from London’s corporation for £1,474. Aldeburghe was returned to both the Short and Long Parliaments, but was disabled for signing the neutralist Yorkshire petition of 1642. A royalist during the first Civil War, he was said to have died in exile at Rotterdam in October 1648. His father, who compounded for an estate of £160 p.a., sold Aldborough manor and most of his other estates in 1653/4. Another Richard Aldburghe (possibly the MP’s son) was an unsuccessful candidate at the Aldborough by-election of 1673. No other family member entered Parliament.7
Ref Volumes: 1604-1629
Authors: John. P. Ferris / Simon Healy
- 1. C142/669/5; T. Lawson-Tancred, Recs. Yorks. Manor, 113.
- 2. Al. Cant.
- 3. Vis. Yorks. ed. Foster, 279; C.B. Norcliffe, ‘Paver’s Mar. Lics.’ Yorks. Arch. Jnl. xvii. 180; N. Yorks. RO, PR/ALB/1/1, pp. 136, 141, 143, 147, 149; Royalist Comp. Pprs. ed. J.W. Clay (Yorks. Arch. Soc. rec. ser. xviii), 217.