HUGHES, Hugh (d.1609), of Plas Coch, Porthamel, Anglesey.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
1st s. of David Lloyd ap Hugh of Porthamel Isa by Anne, da. of John Owen of Llanfaethlu, wid. of Hugh ap Llywelyn of Bodedern. educ. ?Trinity, Camb. 1564, BA 1568; L. Inn 1571, called 1580. m. 1578, Elizabeth, da. of Simon Montagu of Brigstock, Northants., 1s. 3da. suc. fa. 1574.1
Steward of manor of Rhosfair 1580; seneschal of manors of Penmynydd 1586, 1601; steward of manors of bp. of Bangor 1595; j.p.Anglesey by 1577, q.by 1593, Caern., Merion. by 1591, q. 1593; sheriff, Anglesey 1580-1, 1591-2, 1599-1600; bencher, L. Inn 1594, Autumn reader 1595, treasurer 1602-3, dep. Queen’s attorney for Anglesey, Caern., Merion. 1589, 1592; attorney for Anglesey, Caern., Cheshire, Flints., Merion. 1596; subsidy collector, Anglesey 1599, commr. subsidy 1601; member, council in the marches of Wales 1601.2
The first of his family to adopt the surname Hughes, this Member enlarged the estate of Plas Coch, built by his father, sometimes by purchase, sometimes by lease or exchange with neighbours, such as the Bagnalls and Hollands. He became involved in a number of disputes. One of the most stubborn (eventually settled by arbitration) concerned lands in the neighbouring township of Mossoglan. In one Exchequer suit in 1587, Hughes was alleged to have tried to take the case to Shropshire, where he had many friends. Five years later, he was accused by Richard Pryther of Myfyrion, a future judge of the Chester circuit, of illegally passing reversions of leases while acting on his behalf. Hughes was also involved with neighbours in a quarrel about the right of burial in the chancel of Llanidan church, and in another (of unknown cause) with Nicholas Robinson, bishop of Bangor. In 1585 he purchased the rectory of Llanidan from Sir William Herbert of St. Julian’s, and obtained other leases from him and his heir, Lord Herbert of Chirbury (Edward Herbert III).