GERARD, William II (aft.1520-84), of Harrow, Mdx.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
b. aft. 1520, yr. s. of James Gerard of Astley and Ince, Lancs. by Margaret, da. of John Holcroft; bro. of Sir Gilbert. m. Dorothy, da. of Thomas Page of Sudbury Court, Mdx., 8s. inc. William Gerard III 4da.1
Receiver of Mdx. lands of Edward North†, 1st Lord North by 1552; feodary, Mdx. 1565; gov. Harrow sch. 1572; escheator, Kent, Mdx. Mar.-Dec. 1578; j.p. Mdx. from c.1583.
Gerard presumably owed his Wigan seat to his brother Gilbert, who had represented this duchy of Lancaster borough three times in the Early Tudor period, and was closely associated with Sir Ambrose Cave and Sir Ralph Sadler, successive chancellors of the duchy of Lancaster. The Gerards were in any case landowners in the Wigan district, and no doubt his candidature was locally popular. Nothing has been ascertained of his early life. He was living in London by March 1552, when Lord North sold him about 160 acres of land in Harrow-on-the-Hill. He was probably already North’s receiver for Middlesex: the first account bearing his name is dated 1552-3. He was still holding the office in 1569, but no later evidence has been found. By 1564 he had acquired extensive property