ELRINGTON, Edward (1528-78), of Birch Hall, Theydon Bois, Essex.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
Gent. pens. by Apr. 1549; ranger of Waltham forest from 1559.
After the Reformation, the Elrington family established themselves in Essex where, for many years, they resided at Birch Hall. Elrington’s father, treasurer of the navy and chief butler of the royal household, was probably instrumental in obtaining the place of gentleman pensioner for his son, and certainly passed on to him the rangership of Waltham forest, Essex, and the manors of Weddington and Shortegrave Hall, as well as Theydon Bois and other property throughout the county. Three farms brought in an annual rent of over £50. Elrington also owned a house and property in the parish of St. Katherine Coleman, London.
In March 1571 he and his heirs acquired the reversion of a duchy of Lancaster lease of the manor of Barwick and other property in Essex, which, in the event, never fell in, but is nevertheless interesting as illustrating the patronage of his father-in-law, Sir Ralph Sadler, chancellor of the duchy, who must have been responsible for Elrington’s return for the duchy borough of Wigan to the Parliament of 1572. Elrington died in 1578, before the third session of the Parliament, having conveyed his lands to Thomas Averie and Richard Cutte, his brother-in-law, to the use of his wife and eldest son. In his will, made 25 Feb. 1578 and proved 4 Feb. 1579, he expressed his belief in the resurrection of the dead and in salvation through Christ, and made provision for the education of his four younger children and for legacies to his widow, his brother Christopher, a duchy of Lancaster official, and to other relatives and servants. To Sir Ralph Sadler, his overseer, he bequeathed a gilt cup. As executors he appointed Thomas Sadler, his brother-in-law, and Rowland Elrington, his brother. His son and heir Edward was taken into the service of Lord Clinton.
Wards 7/19/60, 102/71; PCC 11 Bakon; E407/1/2-8, E351/466; Morant, Essex, ii. 382; CPR, 1558-60, pp. 323, 466; Pink and Beaven, Parl. Rep. Lancs. 221; VCH Essex, iv. 255; Essex Arch. Soc. iv. 37; n.s. ix. 402-3; Somerville, Duchy, i. 618; Ducatus Lanc. iii. 127.
Ref Volumes: 1558-1603
- 1. Did not serve for the full duration of the Parliament.