WILLIAMS, George (by 1521-56), of Denton, Lincs.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
b. by 1521, 1st s. of William Williams of Stamford by Elizabeth, da .of John Upton. educ. L. Inn, adm. 8 Feb. 1535. m. (1) by 1539, Alice Cony of Bassingthorpe, 2s. 5da.; (2) 1551/55, Rose, 2da. suc. fa. by 1538.1
J.p. Lincs. (Kesteven) 1554; commr. sewers, Cambs., Hunts., Isle of Ely, Lincs., Northants, Notts. 1555.2
After a legal education George Williams took service with William Cecil. He had probably done so by July 1549, when he bought from Cecil and Lawrence Eresby (or Irby) for £261 the manors of Hungerton and Wyville, formerly belonging to the chantry called ‘Curteys’ in Grantham church; the property, which Cecil and Eresby had themselves just acquired from the crown, lay at Denton (which Williams made his home), Harlaxton, Hungerton and Wyville, all to the southwest of Grantham. Williams seems to have managed Cecil’s Lincolnshire properties, writing to him in 1551 about repairs to a church at Ewerby and tithes at Thorpe Waterville (Northamptonshire), and in 1552 about the purchase of land at Barholm and about guild property at Baston which he thou