DEVEREUX, William (by 1525-79), of Merevale, Warws.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
b. by 1525, 2nd s. of Walter Devereux, 3rd Lord Ferrers of Chartley, 1st Viscount Hereford, by 1st w.; bro. of Richard and half-bro. of Edward Devereux. m. settlement 12 Nov. 1554, Jane, da. of John Scudamore of Holme Lacy, Herefs., wid. of John Warnecombe of Lugwardine and Hereford, Herefs., 2da. Kntd. 21 Aug. 1565.2
J.p.q. Warws. 1558/59-d.; collector of loan 1562 sheriff, Warws. and Leics. 1564-5.3
William Devereux was probably born either at Ludlow, where in 1525 his father was steward of Princess Mary’s household, or in one of his father’s residences in south-west Wales, and he is likely to have seen more of Wales than of England during his formative years. He is first mentioned in 1546 when he obtained several leases in Cardiganshire and Carmarthenshire.4
In the Parliament of 1547 Devereux sat for Cardiganshire and his elder brother (Sir) Richard for Carmarthenshire: their father’s chamberlainship of South Wales, which encompassed the two counties, accounts for their return. This Parliament was to produce an Act in Devereux’s favour. During its fourth session a private bill was passed by which his father granted him an interest in the house and site of the former abbey at Merevale in Warwickshire. By the terms of the Act (5 and 6 Edw. VI, no. 27), which according to his inquisition post mortem was dated 30 Mar. 1552 (17 days before the dissolution), Devereux was to hold the property for life; he could also give it by will or deed to his wife for her lifetime, but on the death of the survivor it was to revert to Ferrers or his heir. The acquisition of Merevale led Devereux to establish himself in Warwick