JACOB, Reynold (d.1424), of Dorchester, Dorset.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
m. Joan 1s. illegit.
Bailiff, Dorchester Mich. 1403-4, 1410-11, 1413-14, 1417-18.1
Tax collector, Dorset Dec. 1417.
Besides being at least twice elected parliamentary burgess for Dorchester, Reynold Jacob took an active part in the life of the borough: he witnessed deeds in the town court regularly from 1397; he officiated as bailiff four times and it was as such that he was elected to his first Parliament in 1417. He was frequently one of the four burgesses who reported the outcome of the parliamentary elections to the county court of Dorset2 where in 1414 (Nov.), 1417, 1420, 1421 (May and Dec.) and 1422, he also attested the indenture embodying the election of the knights of the shire. Meanwhile, in 1414, he had served as one of a jury of 24 who passed a set of bye-laws in the borough court.3
Jacob traded in cloth, corn and peas, which he shipped from Melcombe Regis. In 1404 his cargoes were valued at over £78. As far as property in Dorchester was concerned, he held tenements in West Street and ‘Durnelane’ and a burgage in All Saints’ parish. In 1407 he and Nicholas Cole conveyed to John Jordan of Wolfeton eight messuages and 13 acres of land in Dorchester, Stratton and Bradford Peverell.4
Jacob made his will on 10 Jan. 1424, appointing as his executors Joan, his wife, his bastard son, John, who was a priest, and John Fauntleroy. In accordance with its terms, which hardly suggest that the testator was a particularly affluent man, Salisbury cathedral and St. Peter’s church, Dorchester, were to receive just 1s. each and the church of Charminster and chapel of ‘Walterstone’ two sheep between them. He also left a missal to the chapel at ‘Markesewe’ Cornwall. Robert, his brother, and Fauntleroy were given silver cups and his godson another sheep. Jacob’s tenements in Dorchester went to his widow for life, including one with a dovecote at West Gate which was to revert to his son. He died before 8 Mar. when the will was proved. In August 1425 John Gouvitz brought a successful action of novel disseisin against his widow and his brother John, a London brewer, over the property with the dovecote, but they managed to retain a tenement with farm buildings in North Street, which Jacob had held by bequest of John Gould*, granting it in 1428 to the guild of St. Mary in St. Peter’s church, where Jacob was buried, in accordance with his wishes.5
Ref Volumes: 1386-1421
Author: E.M. Wade
- 1. Recs. Dorchester ed. Mayo, 186, 199, 201, 223.
- 2. To the Parliaments of 1413 (May), 1414 (Apr. and Nov.), 1419, 1420 and 1421 (May and Dec.).
- 3. J. Hutchins, Dorset, ii. 362.
- 4. E122/102/20; Recs. Dorchester, 139, 190, 236; Dorset Feet of Fines, ii. 260.
- 5. PCC 2 Luffenham; Recs. Dorchester, 250, 253, 262-3, 268.