Double Member Borough
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Right of Election:
in burgage holders paying scot and lot
Number of voters:
|15 Apr. 1754||George Cholmondeley, Visct. Malpas|
|25 Mar. 1761||Andrew Archer|
|4 Dec. 1761||Edward Turnour Garth Turnour, Baron Winterton, vice Archer, chose to sit for Coventry|
|4 May 1762||George Venables Vernon vice Fitzherbert, vacated his seat|
|16 Mar. 1768||Edward Turnour garth Turnour, Baron Winterton||18|
|THOROTON and AMBLER vice Winterton and Lowndes, on petition, 14 Feb. 1769|
|8 Oct. 1774||Sir Henry Gough|
|8 Sept. 1780||Sir Henry Gough|
|2 Feb. 1782||Henry Fitzroy Stanhope vice Thoroton, vacated his seat|
|31 Mar. 1784||Sir Henry Gough|
|15 Dec. 1788||Robert Hobart vice Pulteney, appointed to office|
In 1754 Bramber was controlled by the Gough family of Edgbaston, Warwickshire. They owned 20 burgages, 13 belonged to Lord Windsor, and 3 were independently owned. The Gough interest was leased to Lord Archer; who at the general elections of 1754 and 1761 nominated the candidates, selected by arrangement with Administration, while Sir Henry Gough managed the borough.
In 1767 Lord Granby purchased the 13 Windsor burgages, and two others; and at the general election of 1768 set up two candidates in opposition to the Gough interest. Sir Henry Gough had secured the nomination of returning officer, and the result of the election was a foregone conclusion. But Granby’s candidates petitioned; and since Granby was a member of the Cabinet they had the support of Administration, and were seated by a party vote in the Commons.
Shortly before the general election of 1774 a compromise was concluded whereby the Manners and the Gough interests henceforth returned one Member each.
Author: John Brooke
M. Cramp, ‘Parlty. Rep. Five Suss. Boroughs’ (Manchester Univ. M.A. thesis).