TUCKFIELD, John (c.1719-67), of Little Fulford, nr. Crediton, Devon.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
b. c.1719, s. of Roger Tuckfield of London. m. 18 Mar. 1741, Frances, da. and coh. of William Gould of Downes House, nr. Crediton, s.p.; her sis. Elizabeth m. James Buller. suc. cos. Roger Tuckfield at Raddon 1739.1
Tuckfield’s family purchased Little Fulford, now known as Shobrooke Park, at the beginning of the seventeenth century.2 When the severe winter of 1740 had caused so many deaths and so much illness in Exeter that the building of a hospital was proposed, Tuckfield provided the land and building materials. The Devon and Exeter Hospital, as it was named, was opened in January 1743, with Tuckfield as chairman of the court of governors.3 A freeman of Exeter since 1741, he was returned as a Tory for the city in 1747 on the corporation interest.
He died 6 Dec. 1767.