JOHNSON, Sir Henry (c.1661-1719), of Bradenham, Bucks.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
b. c.1661, 1st s. of Sir Henry Johnson, M.P., of Friston Hall, Suff. by Mary, da. and h. of William Lord of Melton, Kent; bro. of William Johnson.1 m. (1) lic. 14 May 1686, Anne, da. and h. of Hugh Smithson, 3rd s. of Sir Hugh Smithson, 1st Bt., of Stanwick, Yorks., 1da.; (2) 11 Mar. 1693 Martha, suo jure Baroness Wentworth, da. and h. of John Lovelace, M.P., 3rd Baron Lovelace of Hurley, Berks., s.p. suc. fa. 1683. Kntd. 13 or 18 Mar. 1685.
Sir Henry Johnson, a Blackwall shipbuilder, owned the manor of Aldeburgh and other property near that borough,2 for which he and his brother sat continuously from 1689. On their re-election as Tories in 1715 after a contest, their Whig opponents petitioned; the petition was referred to the elections committee of the House of Commons, who found in favour of the petitioners; but the committee’s recommendation was overruled by the House, who awarded the seats to the sitting Members, the only success scored by the Tories on an election petition in 1715.3 He voted against the Government in all recorded divisions till his death, 29 Sept. 1719, leaving his estates to his granddaughters, one of whom married William Conolly.