CAREY (CARY), John (1612-85), of Stanwell, Mdx.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
bap. 23 Dec. 1612, 1st s. of Sir Philip Cary† of Hunslet, Yorks. and Silver Street, London by Elizabeth, da. of Richard Bland of Carleton, Rothwell, Yorks. educ. St. John’s, Oxf. 1627. m. (1) Mary (bur. 29 Dec. 1657), da. and coh. of Sir Charles Montagu† of Cranford, Essex, wid. of Edward Baesh† of Stanstead Bury, Herts., s.p.; (2) Catherine (bur. 1 Sept. 1673), s.p. suc. gt-uncle in Stanwell estate 1622, fa. 1631.1
Master of the buckhounds to the Prince of Wales 1638-bef. 1642, (as King) June 1660-85; gent. of the privy chamber ?1641-6, 1681 5.2
Keeper of Marylebone Park, Mdx. 1631-42, j.p. Mdx. July 1660-d., dep. lt. c. Aug. 1660-d., commr. for assessment 1661-3, 1673-4; alderman, New Windsor 1685-d.3
Carey’s father, a younger brother of the 1st Viscount Falkland, sat for Woodstock in four early Stuart Parliaments. Carey was granted the reversion of the keepership of Marylebone Park in 1623, though he seems to have lost this before the Civil War. But he became master of the Prince of Wales’s buckhounds, a post worth £120 p.a., and joined the King at Oxford in 1642. He was never in arms, and in 1649 compounded for his delinquency at £600 on the Oxford articles. His particular showed an income of £1,677 p.a. but debts of over £13,000. He made good his claim to a moiety of Stanwell in the following year, and paid a further £600 fine. After the Restoration his appointment as master of the buckhounds was confirmed at an increased salary ‘in consideration of many years of service’, and he received compensation for loss of Marylebone Park. In 1678, with the partition of the Knyvett estates, he became sole owner of Stanwell.4
Carey stood for Windsor, six miles from his home, as a court candidate in the second election of 1679. He was involved in a double return; but he was unseated without leaving any trace on the records of the second Exclusion Parliament and is unlikely to have stood again. He died on 18 Oct. 1685 and was buried at Stanwell. This estate, and other lands in Kent and Lincolnshire worth £2,000 p.a. in all, eventually passed by chancery decree to the 6th Lord Falkland.5
Ref Volumes: 1660-1690
Authors: Leonard Naylor / Geoffrey Jaggar
- 1. The Gen. (n.s.) xxiii. 202-3; VCH Mdx. iii. 37.
- 2. CSP Dom. 1638-9, p. 56; 1660-1, pp. 75, 239; Lysons, Environs, iii. 246; Cal. Treas. Bks. i. 616; LC3/1; Carlisle, Privy Chamber, 194.
- 3. CSP Dom. 1685, p. 69.
- 4. F. Harrison, Devon Carys, ii. 403; CSP Dom. 1619-23, p. 515; 1625-6, p. 582; 1667, p. 408; Cal. Comm. Comp. 1402-3; Cal. Treas. Bks. ii. 546; iii. 881; VCH Mdx. iii. 37.
- 5. CJ, ix. 638, 646; HMC Lords, iii. 92-95; Her. and Gen. iii. 133-4.