WALLOP, William (c.1553-1617), of Southampton and Wield, Hants.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
b. c.1553, 3rd s. of Sir Oliver Wallop of Farleigh by his 2nd w. Anne, da. of Robert Martin of Athelhampton, Dorset; half-bro. of Sir Henry Wallop. educ. Magdalen Coll. Oxf. 1571. m. (1) Margaret, da. of Henry Asheley of Wimborne St. Giles, Dorset, wid. of John Hawles of Monkton Up Wimborne, Dorset, s.p.; (2) c.1585, Averine or Averna, da. and coh. of William Knight of Southampton and wid. of William Staveley of Southampton, s.p.; (3) c.1614, Margery, da. of John Fisher of Chilton Candover, s.p.
Burgess, Southampton 1584, mayor 1596-7, 1610-11; j.p. Hants 1583-c.1587, q. 1593-6, sheriff 1599-1600.1
The younger son of a leading Hampshire family, Wallop became a merchant in Southampton, taking a leading part in the administration of the town after becoming a burgess in 1584. He did, however, own land in the county, and on two occasions was a member of the commission of the peace for Hampshire. A list, probably drawn up in 1587, names him as one of those to be dropped from the commission, the probable reason being that Sir Henry Wallop, another member of the family, was a justice. But between 1593 and 1596 William was again on the commission and a member of the quorum. He first sat in Parliament for Lymington through the influence of his half-brother, Sir Henry Wallop, steward of the manor. Wallop was licensed to depart on 8 Mar. 1589. In 1597 he was returned to Parliament for Southampton, being elected at the end of his first term as mayor. Wallop made his will on 17 Dec. 1616, and it was proved by his executrix, his third wife Margery, on 18 Dec. of the following year. He left £50 to be spent on his tomb and £100 for his funeral expenses, £10 of it to be distributed among the poor. £100 was bequeathed to the town of Southampton as a fund to help poor young men to set up in trade. After his legacies had been paid, the remainder of the personal estate was to go to his wife Margery. Wallop died 15 Nov. 1617, and was buried in the church at Wield.2
Ref Volumes: 1558-1603
Author: A. M. Mimardière
- 1. Hutchins, Dorset, iii. 394; Al. Ox. 1500-1714, p. 1562; C142/374/84; W. Berry, Co. Genealogies, Hants, 43; Vis. Hants (Harl. Soc. lxiv), 26; D’Ewes, 413; Assembly Bks. (Soton Rec. Soc.), 6, n. 4; iii. 91, n. 1; Bks. of Examinations 1601-2 (Soton Rec. Soc.), 28, 43, 49; SP12/145, f. 38; Lansd. 121, f. 66.
- 2. PCC 121 Weldon; VCH Hants, iii. 347; C142/374/84.