HYDE, William (c.1517-67), of South Denchworth, nr. Wantage, Berks.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
J.p. Berks 1559-c.64.
The Hydes had been settled in Berkshire since the mid-thirteenth century, and by Mary’s reign Hyde’s father was of sufficient standing to represent his county thrice in Parliament. But Hyde himself made only one appearance in Parliament, for the newly enfranchised borough of St. Germans, where his sister-in-law Thomasine held lands left to her by her late husband John Kekewick. Though Hyde was obviously known to Sir Robert Dudley, whose wife, Amy Robsart, lived in Hyde’s house for some time early in Elizabeth’s reign, his religious opinions were not acceptable to the county, and he was removed from the commission of the peace in or soon after 1564. He made his will in March 1567, committing his soul to God, ‘our blessed Lady St. Mary the Virgin, and to the holy company of Heaven’. The will gives details of his Berkshire and Oxfordshire estates, valued at almost £200. To his widow he left extensive lands, and the advowson of Denchworth parsonage, with the proviso that if she remarried a £100 annuity was to be substituted. Three of his four unmarried daughters were to receive 200 marks each, and one, Margaret, 400 marks. Charitable legacies included £10 to the poor at his burial and £15 at the ‘month’s mind and year’s mind’. All the ‘gentlemen and yeomen’ servants were to have 40s., and the others 20s. each. Four of Hyde’s relatives, including John Erneley, were appointed overseers to advise the sole executor, his son William, who had recently come of age. Hyde died 24 July 1567, and the will was proved the following 25 June.
Vis. Berks. (Harl. Soc. lvi), 35; E150/821/16; C142/150/194; C66/998; Cam. Misc. ix(3), p. 39; PCC 13 Babington; Mill Stephenson, Mon. Brasses, 20.