HYDE, George (c.1570-1623), of South Denchworth and Kingston Lisle, Berks.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
b. c.1570, 1st s. of William Hyde of South Denchworth and Kingston Lisle by Catherine, da. of George Gill of Wyddial, Herts. educ. Queen’s, Oxf. 1586; G. Inn 1590. m. 31 Jan. 1594, Catherine, da. of Sir Humphrey Ferrers of Tamworth, 6s. 1da. suc. fa. 1598 KB 1603.
J.p.q. Berks. 1601.
The Hydes, an old Berkshire family, had long been settled at South Denchworth and Kingston Lisle near Wantage when George Hyde succeeded his father towards the close of Elizabeth’s reign, having already had the family estate settled on him at the time of his marriage. It was presumably his connexion with Sir Humphrey Ferrers, steward of Tamworth and father of John Ferrers, that secured him his borough seat in the 1597 Parliament. In 1601, by which time he was head of the family, he was elected for the county along with Sir Richard Lovelace, whom his mother married at an unknown date. As knight for Berkshire he was eligible to attend the main business committee (3 Nov.), a committee concerning clothworkers (18 Nov.) and the monopolies committee (23 Nov.).
In 1617 he sold Denchworth to Sir William Cokayne, alderman of London, and settled his remaining lands on his eldest son, Humphrey. He died intestate in March or April 1623, letters of administration being granted to his younger brother, Sir Robert, on 24 Apr., after the widow had renounced the administration.
Vis. Berks. (Harl. Soc. lvi), 100; C142/257/92; 688/14; E. Ashmole, Antiquities of Berks. (1719), ii. 215; D’Ewes, 624, 642, 649; PCC admon. act bk. 1623, f. 18.