HUTCHINSON, Edward (1542-91), of Wykeham, Nr. Scarborough, Yorks.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
b. 1542, 1st s. of Richard Hutchinson by his 1st w. educ. Trinity, Camb. 1558, scholar 1560. m. Mary, da. of Richard Wood of Pickering, 4s. 6da. suc. fa. 1560.
There had been Hutchinsons living at Wykeham for over two centuries before Edward Hutchinson received his grant of arms in 1581. The earliest known Hutchinson, spelt Hochonson, was Thomas, chaplain of the chantry of Wykeham, whose will was dated 3 Dec. 1466. Hutchinson was probably able to secure his seat at Scarborough without intervention from any other quarter. The election writ was erroneously sent to the ‘sheriff’ of the town, and the return was made by the mayor and the two Members themselves.
In his will, Hutchinson provided for his wife Mary, who was his executrix, and left the remainder of his property to his son and heir Stephen. He provided £100 each for his three younger sons, and a similar amount for each of his four daughters. He further left one rose noble to each of his wife’s five sisters, and to his own brothers Thomas and George. To help his wife pay the £100 legacies, he left her all his goods, implements and stocks. Thomas Jackson, John Milbourne, Anthony Wood and William Clarke, all kinsmen, were the overseers, and each received 40s. Hutchinson possessed the priory of Wykeham, three closes, the rectory of le Osmond Dale, thirteen houses, eight cottages and a certain amount of land. He died 20 Feb 1591.
Foster, Vis. Yorks. 183; C219/30, ff. 159-60; Yorks. Arch. Jnl. xviii. 233, 236-7.