HOPTON, Robert (d.1590), of Yoxford, Suff. of St. Mary Mounthaw, London.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
Hopton presumably owed his seat at Mitchell to his court connexions. He was a member of the succession committee in October 1566. During his period of service in the Household he was appointed to a number of special commissions, including several to try coiners and other felons in the London and Middlesex area. In August 1564 he was one of those who heard cases in the Marshalsea court during a vacancy in the stewardship of the Household.3
Though his will does not refer to any property in Suffolk, he seems to have kept in touch with his home county. In October 1567 a number of Suffolk gentlemen petitioned Archbishop Parker to restore Mr. Lawrence, who had been a minister in the Ipswich area for about six years, and whose removal had left them without a regular preacher. Above the six signatures a paper was attached, evidently cut from another letter, with the words ‘Your Grace’s at commandment, Ro. Hopton’.4
After surrendering his patent in October 1577 he evidently continued to live in London: in September 1590 the subsidy list for Queenhithe ward returned ‘Robert Hopton. In lands, dead, £20.’ His will, drawn up in December 1589, was proved 23 Feb. 1591. He left his mansion and dwelling house near Old Fish Street, London, to his wife, and after her death to his daughter Dorothy, who was to remain in the custody of her cousin Arthur Hopton until she became sixteen. Apart from small legacies to servants, all the property not bequeathed to the widow was to descend to Arthur and Dorothy, the co-executors.5
Ref Volumes: 1558-1603
Author: N. M. Fuidge
- 1. CPR, 1553-4, p. 420; Vis. Suff. ed. Metcalfe, 44; Vis. Suss. (Harl. Soc. liii), 122; PCC 9 Sainberbe; Rylands Eng. ms 311.
- 2. CPR, 1558-60, p. 351; C142/162/140; LP. Hen. VIII, xvii, p. 400.
- 3. CPR, 1560-3, pp. 237, 523; 1563-6, pp. 184, 257; D’Ewes, 127.
- 4. Parker Corresp. (Parker Soc.), 307.
- 5. Lansd. 63, f. 34; PCC 9 Sainberbe.