HEYRICK, Robert (1540-1618), of Leicester.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
b. 1540, 1st s. of John Heyrick, mayor of Leicester, by Mary, da. of John Bond of Ward End, Warws.; bro. of William. m. 11 Nov. 1567, Elizabeth, da. of William Manby, alderman of Leicester, 2s. 9da. suc. fa. 1589.
Member, council of the 48, Leicester 1567, chamberlain 1573-4, member, council of the 24 1575, coroner 1578-9, mayor 1584-5, 1593-4, 1605-6.
Heyrick was an ironmonger; he and two of his brothers were mayors of Leicester. About 1598 he and his younger brother William obtained from the heralds’ college a confirmation of the arms of the ancient landed family of Heyrick, with additions. This was soon after William’s marriage and purchase of a country estate and probably reflects no ambitions on Robert’s part. In 1597 Robert Heyrick bought the site of the dissolved Greyfriars monastery opposite St. Martin’s church, Leicester, where for some years before his death he lived in a large house within the precincts. He owned other houses and lands in Leicester, together with a small amount of property outside, including the rectory of Houghton on the Hill, to which living in 1605 he presented his son Tobias. There are numerous references to him in the Leicester records, mainly connected with his official duties, which included those of justice of the peace for the town, and in 1590 and 1598 subsidy commissioner. His own assessment for the 1589 subsidy was £10 10s. In the new charter granted to the borough in 1599, he was named the first of 24 aldermen for life. At various times he also served as steward of the fair, and auditor of the ‘east quarter’ of the town. He died 14 June 1618, and was buried in St. Martin’s church, Leicester: an inscription referred to his family, his town offices and his ‘very godly’ death. His will contained a number of charitable bequests, including 1s. to each of the 110 poor people in Trinity hospital, Leicester; 40s. to the poor widows of the borough; and 13s.4d. to the ‘schoolmaster that taught the petties’ at the free school. St. Martin’s church received £3 for repairs, and the Spital hospital ten marks, with 3s.4d. apiece for the 26 inmates.
Nichols, Leics. i. 301; ii. 615, 618, 625; Mayors of Leicester, ed. Hartopp, 76-7, 265; Leicester Recs. iii. 157, 265, 268, 318, 361, 464-5, 468-78; PCC 73 Meade.