GODWYN, Philip (d.1574), of Marlborough, Wilts.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
m., at least 1s.
Constable, Marlborough by Nov. 1559, alderman, mayor.
In November 1556 Godwyn bought a house he had been renting for some time in Marlborough High Street, formerly the property of St. Margaret’s priory. At his death he owned at least three other houses in the centre of the town. In the heralds’ visitations of 1565 he was named as one of the ‘aldermen and late mayors’. He received £6 for his parliamentary expenses in 1571, the only time in this period when two townsmen were returned, and he was one of the six chief burgesses to whom the town accounts were submitted in 1572. He died intestate 3 Aug. 1574, letters of administration being granted to his son John, who was then about 25.
CPR, 1555-7, p. 244; 1560-3, p. 39; Marlborough Recs. 1-2; Wards 7/15/4; Genealogist, n.s. xii. 165; PCC admon. act bk. 1574, f. 57.