FETTIPLACE, Giles (d.1641), of Poulton, Wilts.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
3rd s. of George Fettiplace, lawyer, of Coln St. Aldwyn, Glos. by Cecily, da. of Henry Poole of Poole Keynes, Glos. educ. M. Temple 1585. m. (1) Barbara, da. of Andrew Foster, of Baddesley, Hants; (2) c.1612, Frances, da. of Sir Arthur Hopkins, wid. of Richard Jones of Asthall, Oxf., s.p. Kntd. by 1608.
J.p. Glos. by 1627, sheriff 1633-4.
The Fettiplaces were a Berkshire family with west country connexions. Fettiplace’s aunt Elizabeth married Sir John Higford, sheriff of Gloucestershire 1572-3, and his uncle John was son-in-law of (Sir) Anthony Hungerford, of Down Ampney. This latter relationship and his general standing in the area no doubt explain Fettiplace’s return for Devizes to Elizabeth’s last Parliament. He outlived his elder brothers and built up estates in three counties, and in 1608 he was mentioned as one of the three lords of Maisey Hampton, Gloucestershire. He also owned property at Lechlade. His Oxfordshire estate, which included the manor of Radcot and lands in Broughton Poggs may have come to him through his second marriage.
He died in 1641 between making his will 3 Mar. and its proof 1 Apr. He requested burial in the chancel of the parish church of Poulton, towards the repair of which he left 40s. A similar sum was bequeathed to the poor of Coln St. Aldwyn and £10 for those of Cirencester. The widow and sole executrix was to have the use of all the moveables in the house, brewery and orchard at Poulton, with remainder to John Fettiplace, a nephew, while the three children of Anthony Fettiplace, a cousin, were to receive 100 marks apiece. His stepson Richard was to have £5 to buy a horse, and small legacies were made to his three stepdaughters, one of whom had married into the Hungerford family. Generous provision was made for a number of servants, and the vicar of Coln St. Aldwyn was bequeathed £6 13s.4d.
Vis Berks. (Harl. Soc. lvi), 28; J. Smith. Men and Armour Glos. 1608, p. 248; Wilts. Arch. Mag. xlv. 497-8; CSP Dom. 1634-5, p. 229; Ashmole, Berks. iii. 306-7; Vis. Glos. (Harl. Soc. xxi), 86; Antrobus Deeds (Wilts. Arch. Soc. recs. br. iii), 61-2; VCH Wilts. vii. passim; PCC 47 Evelyn.