HUNGERFORD, Sir Edward (1632-1711), of Broadwater, Suss.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
b. 20 Oct. 1632, 1st s. of (Sir) Anthony Hungerford† of Farleigh Castle, Som. and Blackbourton, Oxon. by Rachel, da. of Rice Jones of Asthall, Oxon. educ. Queen’s, Oxf. 1649. m. (1) Dec. 1657 (with £4,000), Jane (d. 1664), da. and h. of Sir John Hele of Clifton Maybank, Dorset, and Wembury, Devon, 1s. (d.v.p.) 3da. (2 d.v.p.); (2) 3 Feb. 1666 (with £1,000), Jane (d. 1674), da. of Hugh Culme of Burlescombe, Devon, 2s. (1 d.v.p.); (3) by 1682, Jane (d. 1703), da. and h. of George Digby of Sandon, Staffs., wid. of Charles, 4th Baron Gerard of Gerard’s Bromley, Staffs. 1s. suc. fa. 1657; KB 23 Apr. 1661.1
Commr. for loyal and indigent officers 1662.
Cttee. Hudson’s Bay Co. 1674–5.2
Hungerford accumulated a large number of properties, principally in Wiltshire but also in neighbouring counties, through inheritance and three astute marriages. In 1648 the ancient family seat of Farleigh Castle was reunited with the Blackbourton property upon the death of Sir Edward Hungerford†, the Parliamentarian colonel, who devolved his estates upon his half-brother, (Sir) Anthony Hungerford. These joint estates, worth some £4,000 p.a., were inherited by Hungerford at his father Sir Anthony’s death in 1657. In the same year Hungerford’s first marriage yielded a £4,000 portion as well as a number of manors in Devon and Dorset. These properties were gradually dissipated through Hungerford’s extravagant spending and addiction to gambling, which earned him the soubriquet ‘the spendthrift’. In 1665 he secured a private Act to enable him to sell his first wife’s Devon properties. A timely second marriage in the following year brought in £1,000 and additional estates also in that county. In the 1670s Hungerford incurred considerable debts to a number of lenders, in particular Sir Stephen Fox* to whom Hungerford was to owe £40,000 by 1683. Fox forced Hungerford to reduce the debt by obliging him to convey the freehold of a number of Wiltshire manors valued at £38,100. Within two years, however, the debt had risen to the same level, whereupon Hungerford was forced to sell Farleigh Castle, the family’s principal seat, as well as Hungerford market in the Strand, which he had developed in the early 1680s on the site of the former Hungerford House. His subsequent service in Parliament may have been motivated by the need to avoid creditors.3
Having lost his estates, and his political influence, in Wiltshire, Hungerford was returned on his own interest at Shoreham in 1690, where the remnant of his property was situated. Despite his previous Whiggery, he was classed as a Tory (perhaps in error for his namesake Sir George Hungerford*), and also as a Court supporter, by Lord Carmarthen (Sir Thomas Osborne†). Again classed as a member of the Court party by Robert Harley* in April 1691,