CHETWYND, Walter I (1633-93), of Ingestre, Staffs.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
b. 1 or 9 May 1633, o. s. of Walter Chetwynd of Ingestre by Frances, da. and h. of Edward Hesilrige of Arthingworth, Northants. m. 14 Sept. 1658, Anne (d. 1671), da. of Sir Edward Bagot, 2nd Bt.†, of Blithfield, Staffs., and sis. of Sir Walter Bagot, 3rd Bt.*, 1da. d.v.p. suc. fa. 1669.2
A renowned antiquary, Chetwynd came from a long line of Staffordshire gentry stretching back into the 13th century. When he regained a seat in the Commons in 1690, it was for the county rather than for the borough of Stafford, situated to the south-west of his principal seat at Ingestre, which he had represented in three previous Parliaments. He had campaigned vigorously for the ‘Church’ interest in the 1690 election, attending the polls at three boroughs, besides his own unopposed election for the county. At the outset of this Parliament the Marquess of Carmarthen (Sir Thomas Osborne†) classed him as a Tory, with a query as to his stance towards the Court. His name also appears on a list drawn up in December, probably indicating that he was expected to support Carmarthen should the latter be attacked in the Commons. On Robert Harley’s* analysis of April 1691 his name was noted with a ‘d’. It is impossible to differentiate his activities in the Commons from those of his cousin (and heir), John Chetwynd*. It is clear from the correspondence of his chaplain, Charles King, that Chetwynd led a full life of study and social engagements which may have restricted his political involvement, especially when interspersed with bouts of ill-health. However, it seems likely that he was in London for every session of the 1690 Parliament until his death; and throughout the first two sessions, although he did leave shortly before the prorogation in 1691 to supervise building work on Ingestre church. His enjoyment of social occasions is perhaps most aptly demonstrated in May 1692 at the ‘consecration’ of his new bowling green, a ceremony attended by one peer and nine MPs. Despite taking precautions, he succumbed to smallpox while in London on 21 Mar. 1693. His body was taken back to Ingestre for burial in his new church. In his will he left £400 for six new bells for this impressive edifice. Most of his landed property was entailed upon John Chetwynd.3
Ref Volumes: 1690-1715
Author: Stuart Handley
- 1. The Commons 1660-90 errs in stating that Chetwynd sat for Stafford after 1690.
- 2. Vis. Staffs. (Wm. Salt Arch. Soc. v, pt.2), p. 84; Harl. 7001, f. 373; J. C. Wedgwood, Staffs. Parl. Hist. (Wm. Salt Arch. Soc.), ii. 125.
- 3. Harl. 7001, ff. 366–8, 371, 373, 396; H. E. Chetwynd-Stapylton, Chetwynds of Ingestre, 213; Vis. Staffs. 84.