STANHOPE, Sir William (1626-1703), of Shelford, Notts.

Published in The History of Parliament: the House of Commons 1660-1690, ed. B.D. Henning, 1983
Available from Boydell and Brewer



Family and Education

bap. 18 Dec. 1626, 1st surv. s. of William Stanhope of Linby, Notts. by Anne, da. of Sir Bassingbourne Gawdy of West Harling, Norf. m. aft. 1648, Catherine, da. of Richard, 2nd Baron Byron of Rochdale, s.p. suc. fa. c.1681; kntd. 26 July 1683.1

Offices Held

Commr. for oyer and terminer, Midland circuit 1661; lt. of militia ft. Notts. by 1662, farmer of excise 1671-4, dep. lt. 1677-Feb. 1688, Oct. 1688-d.; verderer, Sherwood Forest by 1683-d.; commr. for assessment, Notts. 1689-90, j.p. by 1701-d.2

Gent. usher to Queen Catherine of Braganza by 1665-?85, groom of privy chamber ?1685-9.3

Capt. Earl of Chesterfield’s Ft. 1667.


Stanhope’s father, a half-brother of the first Earl of Chesterfield, married a famous Jacobean beauty. He sat for Nottingham in the Long Parliament until disabled as a Royalist, but he does not appear in the records of the commissioners for compounding, presumably because his estate at Linby was held of Sir John Byron on a chattel lease. Stanhope’s eldest brother was killed in the Civil War. At the Restoration, his father entered the service of the second Earl of Chesterfield and obtained a lease of the excise farm for Nottinghamshire in partnership with Anthony Eyre. Chesterfield gave him the site of the old family seat at Shelford, destroyed by the Roundheads in 1645, which he began to rebuild on a reduced scale in 1672. He lived to an advanced age, making his last appearance at quarter sessions in 1677, and not being deleted from the commission till at least 1680.