HUNGERFORD, Giles (1614-85), of Freefolk, Hants and East Coulston, Wilts.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
bap. 25 Sept. 1614, 5th s. of Sir Anthony Hungerford† of Stokke House, Great Bedwyn, Wilts. and Blackbourton, Oxon., being 4th s. by 2nd w. Sarah, da. and coh. of Giles Crouch, Haberdasher, of Cornhill, London, wid. of William Wiseman of Woolstone, Uffington, Berks.; bro. of Henry Hungerford. educ. Oxf. 1631; M. Temple 1634, called 1641. m. (1) 23 May 1654, Frances, da. of Sir George Croke, j.K.b. 1628-41, of Waterstock, Oxon., coh. to her bro. Thomas, and wid. of Richard Jervoise of Freefolk, s.p.; (2) by 1673, Margaret (d. 4 Dec. 1711), da. of Sir Thomas Hampson, 1st Bt. of Taplow, Bucks., 1da. Kntd. 27 Nov. 1676.1
J.p. Hants and Mdx. 1659-July 1660, Wilts. 1666-d.; commr. for militia, Hants and Mdx. Mar. 1660, assessment, Hants Aug. 1660-9, Mdx. 1661-9, Wilts. 1666-80, Glos. 1677-9, Berks. 1677-80, recusants, Hants 1675.
Hungerford was brought up with his brother Henry and likewise became a barrister. But nothing more is heard of him until at the age of 40 he married the widow of Richard Jervoise, MP for Whitchurch in the Long Parliament, and went to live on her jointure, within a couple of miles of the borough. Hungerford, too, was returned for Whitchurch in 1660, but he was probably inactive in the Convention, though marked by Lord Wharton as a friend. His only speech was on the bill to make reparations to the royalist Marquess of Winchester, part of whose estate had been granted to Sir Thomas Jervoise† and Robert Wallop in 1649. It is not clear whether he declared an interest, but he urged the rejection of the bill, ‘and said the grant was not prejudicial to my lord’ because if he had refused his consent his whole estate would have been sold by the Long Parliament. His only certain committee was for this bill.2
Hungerford was re-elected in 1661 and became an active Member of the Cavalier Parliament. He was appointed to 171 committees, taking the chair in nine, and acted as teller in six divisions. Clearly an opponent of the Clarendon administration, he was probably too hostile to Roman Catholicism to join the Earl of Bristol’s followers in the Commons. Although no longer included by Wharton among his friends, his antipathy towards the dignitaries of the Church was no doubt responsible for his selection to deliver a copy of the petition from George Lowe to the treasurer of Salisbury Cathedral, and to ask the master of St. Cross to afford the vicar of Twyford a competent maintenance. He took no part in the Clarendon Code, except to act as teller for postponing a debate on the uniformity bill on 15 Apr. 1662. He was among those Members instructed to ask the lord treasurer to enable the House to consider the survey of the Forest of Dean and to ask the King to forbear any grants of mines royal pending legislation. In 1663 he reported that the complaints of the hackney coachmen against extortion by the clerk and messenger attached to the licensing commission were well-founded. He reported several amendments from the committee on the Marquess of Worcester’s steam engine, designed to protect future inventions. He took the chair for the mines royal bill, but it was recommitted on report. As chairman of the committee to confirm the King’s arbitration between Lord Winchester and his son (Charles Powlett I), he obtained an order to compel a scrivener to deliver to him the relevant documents, and reported the bill on 21 May.3
Hungerford seems to have conformed to the Church of England after his first wife’s death, becoming a Wiltshire j.p. in 1666. His estate was valued at only £500 p.a., but this was before his purchase of East Coulston, six miles from Devizes. As chairman of the committee set up to receive information about the insolence of Popish priests and Jesuits, he presented two reports to the House, and was sent to the Lords to request their concurrence in an address. On the fall of Clarendon he was appointed to the committees to inquire into the sale of Dunkirk and the misca