BERNARD, John (1630-79), of Brampton Park, Hunts.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
b. Nov. 1630, 1st s. of Sir Robert Bernard, 1st Bt., of Huntingdon by 1st w. Elizabeth, da. of Sir John Tallakerne of Ashen Hall, Essex. educ. Huntingdon g.s.; Christ’s, Camb. 1645; M. Temple 1645, called 1649. m. (1) 26 Feb. 1656, Elizabeth, da. of Oliver St. John, l.c.j.c.p., of Thorpe Hall, Northants., 1s. 7da.; (2) lic. 30 Aug. 1670, Grace, da. of Sir Richard Shuckburgh, of Shuckburgh Hall, Warws., s.p. suc. fa. as 2nd Bt. 18 Apr. 1666.1
Commr. for assessment, Hunts. 1657, Aug. 1660-d., Huntingdon Aug. 1660-1, 1664-d., Mdx. 1673- d. , militia, Hunts. Mar. 1660; j.p. Hunts. Mar. 1660-70, 1673-d.; commr. for sewers, Lincs. Aug. 1660; conservator, Bedford level 1669-75.2
Bernard was descended from a younger son of the Northamptonshire family. His father was recorder of Huntingdon and represented the borough in the Short Parliament. Bernard bought the Brampton estate, two miles from the town, in 1653. A domineering lord of the manor, he used his legal training to drive the smaller freeholders out. With his brother-in-law Nicholas Pedley he defeate