ASHHURST, Sir William (1647-1720), of Watling Street, London and Highgate, Mdx.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
b. 26 Apr. 1647, 2nd s. of Henry Ashhurst, merchant, of London, and bro. of Henry Ashhurst. m. lic. 3 Aug. 1668, Elizabeth, da. of Robert Thompson, merchant, of Newington Green, Surr., 7s. (1 d.v.p.) 6da. Kntd. 29 Oct. 1687.1
Freeman, Merchant Taylors’ Co. 1669, master 1687-8; common councilman, London 1678-83, auditor of Bridgehouse accounts 1682-3, alderman 1687-d., dep. lt. 1687-1702, by 1710-d., sheriff 1691-2, ld. mayor 1693-4; pres. Christ’s Hosp. 1688; j.p. Mdx. 1689-d.; commr. for assessment, London and Mdx. 1689-90; v.-pres. Hon. Artillery Co. 1689-1703, pres. 1708-d.; col. yellow regt. of militia ft. London 1689-90, white regt. by 1700-2, 1705-d.2
Commr. for preventing export of wool 1689-92, excise 1698-1700, 1714-d.; director, Bank of England (with statutory intervals) 1697-1714.3
Ashhurst was apprenticed to his father in 1662, and became a successful woollen draper, trading with North America and regarded as a special friend of New England. On his father’s death in 1680 he inherited the family house in Watling Street, where he normally resided, Castle Hedingham in Essex, and six other houses, held of the dean and chapter of Windsor. A nonconformist like the rest of his family, he was a friend of Edmund Calamy, who often spent his evenings at Ashhurst’s house. He was an active and influential Whig member of the common council, was appointed to the committee to draw up the London address for the calling of a Parliament on 13 May 1681, and the following year was on the committee to prepare the City’s defence against the quo warranto writ. James II regarded him as a Whig collaborator, for he appointed him alderman by royal commission in the summer of 1687 and master of the Merchant Taylors’ Company in succession to a Tory. On the restoration of the London charter in October 1688, he was elected alderman for Billingsgate ward.4
Ashhurst supported the Revolution, being appointed by the common council to the committees to draw up the City’s address to William of Orange on 11 Dec. 1688 and to raise a loan of £200,000 for the Prince in January 1689. In March he was a member of another committee working for a reve