LISLE, William (1577-1665), of the Tithe House, Brackley, Northants.; later of Evenley, Northants.
Available from Cambridge University Press
Family and Education
bap. 30 Dec. 1577,1 1st s. of William Lisle of Brackley and 1st w. Dorothy, da. of Robert Clarke of Brackley.2 m. aft. 1600, Elizabeth (d. Nov. 1645), da. and h. of Bennet Shugborough of Cubbington, Warws., wid. of Thomas Greswold of Solihull, Warws., 1da. d.v.p.3 suc. fa. 1599.4 d. by 19 Apr. 1665.5
Commr. defence of Midland Assoc. 1642, assessment, Northants. 1644-8, 1660-3.6
Lisle’s grandfather, said to have been a scion of the Northumbrian Lisle family, settled in Brackley in Tudor times.7 Lisle was returned for the borough in 1604, the first of the family to sit, but left no trace on the records of the first Jacobean Parliament. On his removal to Evenley in 1606 he alienated his interest in the borough to Sir Richard Wenman*.8
Lisle refused to pay the Forced Loan, and appeared before the Privy Council on 26 Jan. 1627. After being ordered not to depart without leave, he presumably capitulated, as he seems to have escaped further penalty.9 His refusal to compound for knighthood on the grounds that he was only a mesne tenant of the Crown brought a further summons from the Council, and he eventually paid £20 to the Exchequer in 1631.10 In 1635 he was again in trouble for failing to contribute towards the local musters.11 Five years later he was ordered before the Privy Council for non-payment of coat and conduct money.12 He held the rectory and advowson of the vicarage of Brackley, and was reported to be displeased at the non-residence of the Arminian incumbent, Robert Sibthorp.13 It was probably for both fiscal and religious reasons that he supported Parliament during the Civil War, serving on several Northamptonshire commissions. In his will, drawn up on 12 Mar. 1660, he made his heir his nephew William Lisle†, who was soon afterwards elected for Brackley.14 Lisle was dead by 19 Apr. 1665, when the will was proved.
Ref Volumes: 1604-1629
Authors: Virginia C.D. Moseley / Rosemary Sgroi
- 1. Northants RO, 42P/1 (Brackley par. reg.), unfol.
- 2. Vis. Northants. (Harl. Soc. lxxxvii), 122.
- 3. Ibid. 122; PROB 11/93, f. 165v.
- 4. Northants RO, 42P/1 (Brackley par. reg.), unfol.
- 5. PROB 11/316, f. 219.
- 6. A. and O. i. 50, 529, 970, 1088, ii. 1375.
- 7. Vis. Northants. ed. Metcalfe, 109; J.C. Hodgson, Hist. Northumb. vii. 244, 258.
- 8. Baker, Northants. i. 574.
- 9. SP16/56/70; APC, 1627, p. 30.
- 10. HMC Buccleuch, iii. 358; E401/2450; E178/5155.
- 11. CSP Dom. 1635, pp. 546, 591, 598.
- 12. CSP Dom. 1640, pp. 125, 169.
- 13. Ibid. 1639, p. 442; Bridges, Northants. i. 150, 166.
- 14. PROB 11/316, ff. 218v-19.