ROSE, John (d.1591), of Canterbury, Kent.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
m. 28 Oct. 1557, Ursula Stuard, wid., s.p. Alderman, Canterbury 1569, mayor 1574-5, 1583-4.
Rose, a tailor, may have been a member of the large family of that name which had lived for generations in the village of Chislet, north-east of Canterbury. No pedigree has been found, however, and his will provides no help on this point.
He was prominent in Canterbury affairs for many years before being returned twice to Parliament. During his first term as mayor the city acquired the Poor Priests’ hospital, or Bridewell, which had just been surrendered to the Crown. According to a note on the back of the royal grant, Rose and Richard Gaunt, the sheriff, negotiated the acquisition of the hospital at a personal cost of £50, which was reimbursed by a tax on the city. A stronger indication of Rose’s concern for the welfare of Canterbury was his desire to improve navigation on the river Stour: ships of any size could only come upstream as far as Fordwich, some three miles distant, and a dredging scheme he had tried to organise during his lifetime met with little success. In his will he left £300 to the mayor and commonalty to make the river navigable between Fordwich and Canterbury for ships of at least 10 tons. If the work had not been completed within six years the money was to be forfeited to his executors.
Rose died late in 1591, being buried in the parish church of St. George 4 Dec. His will was proved the following June.2
Ref Volumes: 1558-1603
- 1. Browne Willis.
- 2. J. Cowper, Reg. St. George Canterbury, 99, 171, 176, 177; Canterbury burmote bks.; Hasted, Kent, xi. 140, 141, 189; xii. 607; Lansd. 35, f. 68; F. Haslewood, Parish of Chislet, passim; Reg. Abp. Parker (Canterbury and York Soc.), 1139; Somner, Antiqs. Canterbury, 22-3; PCC 56 Harrington.