PUXTON, John (d.1627), of Salisbury, Wilts.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
educ. ?Barnard’s Inn 1586. m. Jane, da. of one Studley, 1s. 5da.
Alderman and bailiff, Salisbury 23 Sept. 1623.
Puxton was named in 1595 as one of those who were to represent the city before the Privy Council in its dispute with the bishop, and we can infer that by 1601 he was regarded as a man who could be trusted to back up Giles Tooker, his colleague, in any matter which touched the independence of the city. In the event he is not recorded as taking part in the business of the Parliament of that year. He assisted Tooker in the preparation of a charter in 1606, and supported him in the negotiations which led to the city’s incorporation in 1612. The Salisbury records show that, for serving without wages as the city’s Member in 1601, Puxton was excused serving as mayor for five years.
In spite of the obscurity of his background, Puxton throve. The properties specified in his inquisition post mortem had all been ‘lately purchased’, and nothing he owned had become his by the easier way of patrimony. In Salisbury itself he had purchased a tenement and garden and a messuage and garden in Green Croft Street, as well as a cottage and garden in Salt Lane. Outside the city he had also acquired pasture in Foulston and Wilton (from John Shuter of the Inner Temple), burgages in Downton, houses, buildings and lands in Odstock and the site of the manor of Midsomer Norton in Somerset. Two of Puxton’s daughters married well, Frances with a son of Ambrose Smith and Jane in 1611 with John Ivye, goldsmith, who was to be mayor of Salisbury in 1626-7 and 1647-8, the author of the Declaration concerning the decline of population in the city in 1661, and a fellow-zealot for the city’s independence who successfully negotiated the purchase of the bishop’s lands for the city in 1647. Puxton’s heir, John, was aged 24 at the time of his father’s death.
Puxton died 10 Apr. 1627. A good protestant, he was a parishioner of St. Edmund’s church; the rectory and college premises and were conveyed to him and Giles Tooker in trust for the parish in 1614. He desired to be buried in the church and bequeathed to it 10s.; he also left £1 to the poor of the parish.
Lansd. 47/118/94v; Wilts. IPMs (Brit. Rec. Soc. Index Lib. xxiii), 409; Vis. Wilts. 1623, ed. Marshall, 15, 214; HMC Var. iv. 232, 234; City of Salisbury mss D(34), f. 167; PCC 54 Skynner; Wilts. N. and Q. vii. 525; VCH Wilts. vi. 72, 119.