HUNGERFORD, Sir Edward (by 1532-1607), of Farleigh Castle, Som.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
b. by 1532, 2nd s. of Sir Walter Hungerford, Lord Hungerford of Heytesbury (exec. 1540), being 1st s. by his 2nd w. Alice, da. of William, 1st Lord Sandys; half-bro. of Sir Walter Hungerford†. m. (1) aft. 1574, Jane, da. of Sir Anthony Hungerford† of Down Ampney, Glos., wid. of William Forster of Aldermaston, Berks.; (2) Cecily, da. of Sir John Tufton, 1st Bt., of Hothfield, Kent. suc. half-bro. Sir Walter c.1596. Kntd. 1601.
Gent. pens. by May 1558-83; j.p. Wilts. by 1583, sheriff 1594-5, collector for the loan 1598.
Hungerford was already a considerable landowner when, in his sixties, he succeeded to the residue of the family lands. Next he decided to take a belated turn as knight of the shire, and he was named to the committee on the penal laws, 2 Nov. 1601. He could also have attended committees to which the knights of the shire were appointed, concerning the order of business (3 Nov.), clothworkers (18 Nov.) and monopolies (23 Nov.). In 1602 he bought the manor of Corsham, and two years later was granted further manors in Berkshire, Wiltshire, Somerset and Cornwall, which had once belonged to his infamous father. He furnished a light horse for Ireland in 1600 and again in 1601. After the Essex rebellion, his relative William, Lord Sandys, was committed to his custody.
Hungerford made his will 1 Dec. 1607, and died four days later. In an effort to ensure the ‘continuance of our poor house’ he had adopted his great nephew Edward, son of Anthony Hungerford. of Blackbourton, who was to inherit the estate when he achieved his majority. He was to receive annually £100 until he was 20 and £300 per annum thereafter. But it is apparent that Hungerford had overreached his resources in the attempt to recover his family’s position, and land had to be sold to pay his debts. Lord Sandys was executor and overseers were Francis Moore and Hungerford’s father-in-law, Sir John Tufton. The funeral, which was attended by Sir Thomas Thynne of Longleat, took place at the chapel in Farleigh Castle. The will was proved 8 Nov. 1608.
CP; Vis. Kent (Harl. Soc. xlii), 119; Wilts. Vis. Peds. (Harl. Soc. cv, cvi), 91; Vis. Glos. (Harl.