GIFFORD, Roger (by 1538-97), of St. Bride's, Fleet Street, London.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
b. by 1538, s. of Ralph Gifford† of Steeple Claydon, Bucks. by Mary, da. of Sir Edward Chamberlain† of Woodstock, Oxon. educ. Christ Church, Oxf. 1555, BA 1556, fellow of Merton 1557, MA 1560, fellow of All Souls 1563, MB 1563, MD 1566. m. Frances Rowlesley of Derbys., 2s. 2da.
Fellow, College of Physicians, president 1581-4; one of Queen’s physicians ordinary 1587; precentor of St. David’s 1592.
Created doctor of medicine immediately before the Queen’s visit to Oxford in 1566, Gifford was one of the disputants before her. After leaving Oxford, he doubtless practised in London. His will mentions a farm at Tollesbury, Essex, and lands in Durham, but nothing has been found to show that he ever lived in the north. After 1587 his constant access to Elizabeth brought him many opportunities for financial profit. His £100 p.a. as royal doctor was augmented in 1592 by a sinecure at St. David’s, which carried with it a prebend. Perhaps the 2nd Earl of Pembroke, who returned him to two Parliaments for Old Sarum, was also responsible for gaining him the St. David’s position. They must have met at court and Pembroke may have employed Gifford professionally at some time. Gifford died on 26 or 27 Jan. 1597. He asked that his funeral should be without