GIFFORD, Henry (d.1592), of Kings Somborne, Hants.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
1st s. of Richard Gifford of Kings Somborne by Anne, da. of John Goring of Burton, Suss.; bro. of John. m. aft. 1570, Susan, da. of Henry Brouncker of Erlestoke, Wilts., wid. of Robert Halswell of Halswell, Som., at least 4s. 5da. suc. fa. 1568. Kntd. c.1591.
Sheriff, Hants 1578-9, j.p. from 1583, provost marshal 1589.
Gifford was related by marriage to the Marquess of Winchester, the Kingsmills, the Wallops and the Nortons. His father, a younger son, received in 1537 a duchy of Lancaster lease of the honour and manor of Kings Somborne, which included Stockbridge, and established a new branch of the family. Gifford himself obtained a new lease in 1588. The family was thus in a position to exercise parliamentary patronage at Stockbridge, but the only time it can be seen to have done so was when Gifford returned himself in 1572. He made no mark on the records of the House of Commons, and little elsewhere. He bought the parsonage of Tytherley in 1581, made his will on 10 Oct. 1592, died at Kings Somborne a few weeks later and was buried at East Tytherley on 3 Nov. He was able to make ample provision for his children, including £1,000 for the eldest daughter and 1,000 marks each for the others.
VCH Hants, iv. 472, 518; Hants Field Club Procs. ix. 11-12; APC, xxi. 325; DL4/34/45, 42/136; CSP Dom.1581-90, p. 630; PCC 8 Nevell; C142/234/73, 239/103.