ESTCOURT, Giles (d.1587), of Salisbury, Wilts.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
2nd s. of Edmund Estcourt by Praxid, da. of William Button of Wilts. educ. L. Inn 1558, called 1565. m. Elizabeth, da. of William Webb† of Salisbury, wid. of (?John) Rogers of Poole, Dorset, 1s. 2 or 3da.
One of the 24, Salisbury by 1559, of counsel to Salisbury; j.p. Wilts. from c.1563; Lent reader, L. Inn 1573, pensioner 1577; recorder, Poole 1582.
Estcourt came of an old Wiltshire family. He resided at the College House of St. Edmund’s, which he bought in 1576. One of the 24, he served the city as a lawyer, and would no doubt have been recorder had Salisbury had such an office at this time. He was excused from serving as mayor in 1568, but represented Salisbury in five Parliaments, serving on a number of committees dealing with weights and measures (23 May 1572), jeofails (15 Feb. 1576), cloth (16 Feb.), innholders (17 Feb.), unlawful weapons (2 Mar.), relief of vicars and curates (13 Mar.), disorders of sheriffs (4 Feb. 1581) and navigation (15 Mar. 1581). In March 1587 he was granted leave of absence by the House ‘but upon what reasons or grounds’ the clerk ‘very negligently omitted’ to state. Perhaps he was already ill. He made his will 16 Apr. and it was proved 6 July. In it he forgave the corporation all such money as was due to him ‘for serving of them in divers parliaments’. Although his estate included the manors of Chilhampton and Roulston, the farms of Burtford