DEVEREUX, Edward (c.1550-1622), of Castle Bromwich, Warws.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
b. c.1550, yst. s. of Walter Devereux, 1st Visct. Hereford, by his 2nd w. Margaret, da. of Robert Garnish of Kenton, Suff. m. Katherine, da. of Edward Arden of Park Hall, 5s. 4da. cr. Bt. 25 Nov. 1611. Kntd. 19 Aug. 1612.1
Sheriff, Warws. And Leics. 1593-4; j.p.q. Warws. from c.1591.
As the youngest son, Devereux inherited little land. In 1572 he purchased from his nephew Walter, 1st Earl of Essex, the reversion of the manor of Castle Bromwich and other property, then held by his mother in dower. He did not come into full possession of the property until her death in 1599, but he had probably lived there as a country gentleman for most of his life. There are few references to his activities, though in the 1590s he had lodgings in London, and he was given an honorary admission to Gray’s Inn in 1595, probably through his great-nephew of the half-blood Robert, 2nd Earl of Essex, with whom his connexion was probably closer than appears from the surviving evidence. This consists only of a report to Cecil in September 1601, after the Earl’s execution, that Devereux and his son had taken part in a suspicious meeting with others of his family and friends at Wolverhampton.2
No doubt it was Essex who obtained Devereux his one seat in the Commons. He was not politically active, however, nor a power in his shire. He built up his estates and had a new hall constructed at Castle Bromwich. In his last will, made 25 July 1622, he apologized for not leaving tokens of remembrance to his friends and explained that the jewels and rings he had set aside for that purpose had been stolen. His goods he divided mainly between his wife and eldest son Sir Walter, with only 5s. to his unmarried daughter Grace, ‘by reason of her uncivil behaviour’. The residue went to purchase lands for his grandson Essex Devereux, later Viscount Hereford. Sir Walter, the sole executor, proved the will 3 Oct. 1622. Devereux died 22 Sept. and was buried in Aston church, near Birmingham.3