CHETWYND, Walter (d.1638), of Grendon, Warws.; later of Ingestre, Staffs.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
2nd s. of John Chetwynd of Ingestre (d.1592), being 1st by his 2nd w. Margery, da. of Robert Middlemore of Edgbaston, Warws. educ. Barnard’s Inn; G. Inn 1582. m. (1) Mary, da. and h. of John Mullins, archdeacon of London, 2s. 1da.; (2) Catherine, da. of Sir George Hastings, wid. of Edward Unton of Wadley, Berks. suc. half-bro. Sir William Chetwynd 1612. Kntd. 1604.1
J.p. Salop from c.1592, Staffs. by 1596; commr. musters, Staffs. 1601, sheriff 1607-8; mayor, Newcastle-under-Lyme 1613-14.2
The Chetwynds had been settled at Ingestre, four miles from Stafford, since at least the mid-fourteenth century. They had a remarkable parliamentary record, sitting for Staffordshire and its boroughs until well into the nineteenth century. Chetwynd’s father, sheriff of the county in 1578-9, died seised of property including the manor of Ingestre and three other manors in Staffordshire as well as the manor of Grendon in Warwickshire. While the bulk of the inheritance passed to Walter’s elder half-brother William, sheriff in 1600-1, Walter himself enjoyed the Grendon estate; at any rate this was given as his address when he was knighted. Obviously it was to his family’s standing that Chetwynd owed his elections at Newcastle-under-Lyme. On the first occasion the mayor was one Francis Chetwynd, whose relationship to him is, however, obscure. On the second occasion, Chetwynd was described as a gentleman of Gray’s Inn. By the time he achieved a county seat in 1614 he had succeeded his half brother at Ingestre and had himself been sheriff of Staffordshire. On at least one occasion, in July 1601, he earned the approval of the Privy Council for his alertness and reliability as a local official. He remained an active j.p. into Charles I’s reign.3
In his will dated 20 Apr. 1638, Chetwynd asked to be buried in Ingestre church. To each of his daughter’s four children he left £100, charged on his lands at Newport and Church Aston in Shropshire, and to his grandson Walter Chetwynd, later a well-known Staffordshire antiquary, he bequeathed a ‘great gilt cup’ and a ‘Turkey wrought