BRERES, Henry (d.1619), of Coventry, Warws.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
m. twice, 1 surv. da.
Alderman, Coventry, sheriff 1575-6, mayor 1583-4, 1597.
Born in Preston, Lancashire, Breres was a wealthy Coventry draper who subscribed £25 to the Armada loan and on several occasions lent money to the city. He received 3s.4d. a day for his parliamentary service in 1586-7, and approximately the same rate in 1589. In 1601 he got 5s. a day, and in 1606 6s.8d. He took an active part in the affairs of Coventry, on at least one occasion visiting London on the city’s business, for which he was paid nearly £13. In February 1604 the Coventry council granted him a share of the lease of St. Michael’s rectory.
In January 1619 he made his will, asking to be buried in the parish church of St. Michael, near the communion table where his two wives lay. He left small legacies to his nephews Harry, William and Lawrence Breres, to his sister-in-law Lucy Breres, and to the widow of the late minister at Yardley. His charitable bequests included sums for the repair of St. Michael’s church, the poor of that parish, some poor old men of Bablake, and the inhabitants of an almshouse