BAYLEY, John (d.1611), of Salisbury, Wilts.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
s. of John Bayley by his w. Katherine. m. Mary, at least 1s.
One of the 24, Salisbury by 1574, mayor 1577, alderman.
Bayley was a prosperous merchant who owned houses in Gygon Street, Brown Street and Dragon Street in the city as well as the nearby farm of Bishop’s Down and the manor of Combe. In 1574 he was one of the two men who collected the contribution of the 24 councillors towards the Queen’s gift when she visited Salisbury; in 1590 he was deputed to ride to London for negotiations about a new charter of incorporation; three years later he was associated with the mayor and ‘Mr. Weekes’, probably Christopher, in the presentation of complaints against the bishop. The already longstanding dispute between the corporation and the bishop for control of Salisbury continued for some years, and Bayley was still concerned with it in 1595, when he went up to court seeking redress for the city’s grievances.
After this date there are only scattered references to him. He was still an alderman in 1598. He served as a principal member of the vestry of St. Martin’s, Salisbury, where he owned the tithes of wool and lambs, and later secured the advowson. He died between April and December 1611, and in his will asked to be buried in St. Martin’s.
PCC 55 Wood; Hoare, Wilts.