ZOUCHE, John I (c.1515-85), of Ansty, Wilts.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
b. c.1515, yr. s. of John, 8th Lord Zouche, of Harringworth, Northants., prob. by 1st w. Dorothy, da. of Sir William Capell of London. m. by 1545, Catherine, da. of Sir George St. Leger of Annery in Monkleigh, Devon, wid. of George Courtenay of Powderham, Devon, 3 or 4s. inc. Francis†. Kntd. 10 Nov. 1549.2
Esquire of the body extraordinary by 1533; gent. pens. 1540, steward and bailiff, duchy of Cornwall manor of Mere, Wilts., keeper, Mere park 1539-d.; warden, Gillingham forest and bailiff, town and manor of Gillingham, Dorset 1539-d., bailiff for Thomas Seymour, Baron Seymour of Sudeley, unknown property by 1548; j.p. Wilts. 1558/59-d.; sheriff 1559-60; commr. musters 1573; other commissions 1551-68.3
As the son of a peer and the nephew of Sir William Paulet, later Marquess of Winchester, John Zouche was well placed to gain entry to the court. He and two other courtiers, George Carew and Edward Rogers, appear in Cromwell’s remembrances for 1536 in connexion with a bond for £60, and later in the same year he and Rogers were granted a licence to import Toulouse woad and Gascon wine.4
Zouche probably owed his appointment early in 1539 to duchy of Cornwall offices at Mere, formerly held by the attainted Marquess of Exeter, to another kinsman, Sir Thomas Arundell, receiver-general of the duchy, while those that he secured shortly afterwards at Gillingham, a few miles across the Dorset border, may have accrued to him through another family connexion, their former holder, John Rogers. These two offices were to involve Zouche in a Star Chamber dispute with William Grimston, a former servant of Sir John Rogers. Zouche was included in the King’s new bodyguard, the ‘spears’, or gentlemen pensioners, and was one of the esquires who greeted Anne of Cleves. The manor of Encombe, Dorset, granted to him in May 1540, he immediately alienated to Sir Thomas Arundell, but the manor and rectory of Ansty, which he leased in April 1541 was to become his chief residence; he received a life grant of it later in the same year and in 1546 he was granted it in tail male in return for his services and £100. In 1543 he was one of an evidently Protestant group, including Sir Edward Baynton and Gawain Carew, summoned before the Privy Council for eating flesh in Lent.5
Zouch was knighted at Westminster six days after the opening of the third session of the Parliament of 1547. He appears on the Crown Office list drawn up for the fourth session as having replaced John Story at Hindon, which lies a few miles from Ansty. Story had been committed to the Tower on 24 Jan. 1549 and had been there for the remainder of the second session; Zouche could therefore have taken his place either during that session or at the opening of the third. Hindon was one of the bishop of Winchester’s boroughs, but with Bishop Gardiner also in the Tower Zouche may have owed his return to his uncle Paulet who was steward of the bishopric. He probably enjoyed the support of his neighbour Sir William Herbert, soon to