TEMPLEMAN, Nicholas (by 1478-1515), of Dover, Kent.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
b. by 1478, ?s. of John Templeman of Dover. m.3
Chamberlain, Dover 1505-6, jurat 1510-?d., mayor 1510-11.4
Nicholas Templeman was an executor of the will made by his brother John in 1513 and the John Templeman who was mayor of Dover in 1486-7 may have been their father. An artificer by trade, Temple-man held property in several of Dover’s wards. He represented Dover at the Brotherhood of the Cinque Ports in 1499 and 1511. His Membership of the Parliaments of 1512 and 1515 is known only from his receipt of parliamentary wages and expenses in respect of them. These are preceded in the accounts by a payment in 1511-12 of £3 ‘in part of his payment for being burgess of Parliament’ which may mean that, like John Warren, his fellow-Member in 1512 and 1515, he had also sat in 1510. For the first session of the Parliament of 1512 he was paid £6 2s. for 61 days attendance, which included six days for travel; he received other payments for unspecified days’ attendance at the later sessions and £3 6s. for only 33 days of the first session of the Parliament of 1515, which lasted 60 days, whereas Warren was paid in full for both its sessions. Templeman’s poor attendance at the first and apparent absence from the second may have been due to illness and death: his name disappears from the list of jurats after September 1515 and a survey of Dover taken about 1520 shows that his widow had by then married one John Pysker.5
Ref Volumes: 1509-1558
Author: Patricia Hyde
- 1. Add. 29618, f. 55v; Egerton 2092, f. 90.
- 2. Add. 29618, f. 104v; Egerton 2092, f. 107.
- 3. Date of birth estimated from first reference. Add. 29617, f. 14; Egerton 2093, ff. 4v-13.
- 4. Add. 29617, f. 297; 29618; f. 33; Egerton 2092, passim.
- 5. Canterbury prob. reg. C11, f. 69; Add. 29617, ff. 262, 341v; 29618, ff. 53v, 55v, 59v, 104v; Egerton 2092, ff. 62, 90; 2093, ff. 4v-13; 2094, ff. 17-22; Cinque Ports White and Black Bks. (Kent Arch. Soc. recs. br. xix), 124, 147.