HOSIER, Edward (by 1506-71), of Shrewsbury and Preston Gubbals, Salop.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
b. by 1506, 1st s. of Thomas Hosier of Shrewsbury by Alice. m. by 1531, Marjorie, da. of David Ireland of Shrewsbury, 1da. suc. fa. 1537/39.1
Steward, drapers’ co. Shrewsbury 1529-30, assistant to warden 1531-2, 1539-40, 1544-5, warden 1536-7, 1541-2; bailiff, Shrewsbury 1541-2, 1547-8, alderman by 28 Mar. 1553.2
Edward Hosier’s grandfather was a Welshman who took his name from his trade and migrated to Shrewsbury from Oswestry. The success of this move established the family there and set the pattern for its future. On completing his apprenticeship Hosier was admitted a liveryman of the drapers’ company in 1527; he was to hold its wardenship before his father’s death. His Membership of Parliament was an episode in his municipal career, coming between his two terms as bailiff. He may have owed his election to his fellow-Member Nicholas Purcell, another draper and one of the bailiffs at the time: his friendship with the Foxe brothers perhaps also meant that he had the backing of the council in the marches. Although not reelected to Parliament he remained a prominent figure in the town until his death; in 1559 he was assessed there on property worth £4 and five years later was judged ‘meet to bear office’ by Bishop Bentham. Towards the end of his life he settled at Preston Gubbals which he had bought from the crown in 1544. On his death on 7 Apr. 1571 his entire estate, including a shop beneath the Booth Hall in Shrewsbury, was valued at £86 and passed to his 40 year-old daughter Elizabeth who was married to John Draycott, the grandson and heir of Sir Philip Draycott.3
Ref Volumes: 1509-1558
Author: P. S. Edwards
- 1. Date of birth estimated from first reference. Vis. Salop (Harl. Soc. xxviii), 261; Shrewsbury Guildhall 75(4), f. unnumbered; Shrewsbury sch. Taylor ms 35, f. 60v; VCH Salop, viii. 270; C142/159/53.
- 2. Trans. Salop Arch. Soc. (ser. 3), iv. 261; (ser. 4), iv. 218, 226, 240, 247; Shrewsbury Guildhall 76, f. 2.
- 3. Trans. Salop Arch. Soc. (ser. 4), iv. 216; PCC 29 Alen, 28 Coode; E179/162/22; Cam. Misc. ix(3), 45; LP Hen. VIII, xvi, xix, xxi; CPR, 1563-6, p. 300; 1569-72, p. 488; C142/159/53; Wm. Salt Arch. Soc. v(2), 111.