HERBERT, Walter II (by 1517-64 or later), of Crickhowel and Cilhelyg, Brec.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
b. by 1517, s. of William Thomas Herbert of Crickhowel by a da. of Jenkin Melyf. m. Margaret, da. of Morgan Thomas Hir, at least 1s.1
Sheriff, Brec. 1541-2, 1547-8, Mon. 1551-2; commr. subsidy, Brec. 1543, relief 1550, goods of churches and fraternities 1553; j.p. 1555, q. 1558/59-64.2
The Herbert family of Crickhowel was of illegitimate descent from Sir Richard Herbert (d.1469) of Coldbrook, Monmouthshire, brother of the then Earl of Pembroke. Walter Herbert, who was also known by the diminutive Watkin, is to be distinguished from a namesake of Brecon who was a justice in 1543 and commissioner in 1550, with Herbert, for the collection of the third part of the relief. It is clear from later evidence that it was Walter Herbert of Crickhowel who in March 1538 leased for £42 a year all the mills in the lordship of Brecon and fishery rights in the Neath and Tawe rivers. As Watkin Herbert he became the second sheriff of the new county of Brecon: he was to serve a second term there and one in Monmouthshire. He sued out a general pardon at the accession of Mary and was involved in litigation for debt at the great sessions in 1554. Of the circumstances of his return to the last Parliament of the reign, or of the part which he played in it, nothing has been discovered.3
At Elizabeth’s accession Herbert again secured a general pardon, and his dependability was shown by his being put on the quorum of the Breconshire bench. After 1564 nothing more is heard of him, no will or inquisition surviving.4
Ref Volumes: 1509-1558
Author: P. S. Edwards
- 1. Date of birth estimated from first reference. Dwnn. Vis. Wales, ii. 37; Harl. ch. 111 B26; Cat. Mss Wales (Cymmrod. rec. ser. iv), 588.
- 2. E179/219/29; CPR, 1553, pp. 364419; 1563-6, p. 29; SP11/5/6.
- 3. G. T. Clark, Limbus Patrum Morganiae, 301; C193/12/1; LP Hen. VIII, xiii, xix; CPR, CPR, 1553, p. 364; 1555-7, p. 484; NLW ms Wales 17/5.
- 4. CPR, 1558-60, p. 193.