GOODMAN, Hugh (by 1515-72 or later), of Beaumaris, Anglesey.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
b. by 1515, poss. s. of Richard Goodman of Beaumaris. m. at least 1da.
Bailiff, Beaumaris 1547-8, 1557-8, 1562-3, capital burgess 1562.
Members of the Goodman family appear to have settled in Beaumaris about the middle of the 15th century, having probably come there either from Chester, where a Goodman family was to be prominent in the 16th century, or from Ruthin, Denbighshire. Hugh Goodman’s parentage has not been established, but his forbears included Richard Goodman, bailiff of Beaumaris in 1483-4, and Rowland Goodman, who was engaged in the wine trade there in the early years of Henry VIII’s reign. His daughter Agnes married John Vaughan, himself a bailiff of Beaumaris, and Ralph Goodman, escheator of Anglesey in 1579, may have been his son. Goodman’s business activity is to be glimpsed in 1536, when with his frequent associate William Bulkeley II he supplied the exchequer at Caernarvon with parchment; in October 1558 he was one of four merchants of Beaumaris to whom customs officials committed the inspection and measurement of a cargo of cloth confiscated in the harbour. His position among the wealthier townsmen is attested by his subsidy assessment of £20 in goods in 1572. Of Goodman’s part in the proceedings of the 1555 Parliament nothing is known save that he was not among the Members who opposed one of the government’s bills. Of the Bulkeley faction in Beaumaris, Goodman was a member of the self-perpetuating town council under the charter of 1562. He is last heard of in the subsidy assessment ten years later. As he is omitted from a list of Richard Bulkeley’s tenants in 1574 he may have died in that or the previous year.
Date of birth estimated from first reference. C.E.M. Evans, 'Med. Beaumaris and the commote of Dindaethwy' (Univ. Wales M.A. thesis , 1949), pt. ii. 280; pt. iii. 86, 96, 112, 114; CPR, 1560-3, p. 347; LP Hen. VIII, xix; APC, ii. 202; Dwnn, Vis. Wales, ii. 337; SC6/Hen. VIII/5478, m. 7v; E159/339, Mich. 20; 179/219/14, 16.